[GRASS-dev] r.shrink??

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 22 14:46:39 EDT 2006

Can r.grow use negative numbers? Could it be made to do so or can we make an
r.shrink?

A standard set of image processing routines, for binary images, includes
dilate, erode,  outline, and skeletonize. Two other compound routines are
open (dilate followed by erode) and close (erode followed by dilate). GRASS
can accomplish some of these processes:

dilate = r.grow
outline (sort of) = r.to.vect followed by v.to rast, but a better raster
version would be nice
skeletonize = r.thin (iterated)

But there is nothing to shrink areas (erode in image processing parlance).

Since GRASS already has such good image processing capabilities already, it
would be nice to round them out with these standard routines.

If people think this is a good idea, I can turn this into a wish.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671