[GRASS-dev] Keywords in module descriptions

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 05:10:20 EDT 2006

> > Sorry if I am thick, but in the age of Google what's the point of
> > defining keywords?
>
> Call it "tag" for a modernized version :-)
> Everybody is tagging nowadays.

maybe so, but what's the reason? There are lots of moves to the XML-
ificaition of everything these days as well, but I don't always see a
purpose in doing that for everything either.

> Sorry, too late. 30 minutes ago I have submitted it. The main reason
> was to not make backporting of changes from > 6.2 a continuous pain.

no worries. I am not really against them or trying to be negative. I am
just trying to understand how keywords can be used before deciding to
spend time working on them.

> Feel free to revert.

I won't.

> Example:
> The HTML man pages could use the keyword as metatag which hopefully
> improves the ranking.

ok.

fyi, http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34434&topic=8523
"We do not manually assign keywords to sites, nor can webmasters submit
a list of preferred keywords for which their sites will appear."

Hamish