[GRASS-dev] freetype on gentoo

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Aug 25 07:48:57 EDT 2006

M-Dàris Narti-B¹s wrote:-A

> currently GRASS on Gentoo is almost unmaintained. First GRASS ebuild for
> 5.7/6.0 was made by me. Now ebuilds are submitted by community trough
> bugzilla system, but current maintainer (nerdboy) is not very intrested in
> GIS (and doesn't know OS GIS related problems) and strictly follows Gentoo
> guidelines - I had problems with getting simple GRASS related fixes to ebuild
> accepted. :(
> I don't think that there will somebody push opendwg ebuild and related grass
> flag.

There's no reason we can't maintain our own ebuild.

> What is more important for me - currently emerging GRASS can fail, but user
> will get no notification about this using current ebuild. See more:
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-August/025129.html "Checking for
> compilation errors"

Paul Kelly recently proposed this fix:

	@if [ `cat "$(GRASS_HOME)/error.log" | wc -l` -gt 8 ] ; then false ; else true ; fi

although it hasn't been acted upon.

It would be easy enough to add a similar check to the src_compile()
method in the ebuild.

However: the build system is currently missing some conditions in the
Makefiles, i.e. it attempts to compile certain modules regardless of
whether the corresponding dependencies were enabled. If the dependency
wasn't enabled, that module will fail to compile, resulting in an
error message.

Normally, this is harmless; if you use --without-tiff, then you don't
get r.out.tiff, and an entry for r.out.tiff in error.log isn't
particularly surprising. However, this will interfere with attempts to
determine success/failure of the build.

I'll try building with --disable-<everything> to see which modules
require conditional compilation.