[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] [bug #3041] nviz max resolution ppm image dump

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 19:41:59 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> Just to confuse the issue somewhat, the max resolution PPM dump almost
> works on my Mac (18 August build). As you can see below, it is failing
> because I apparently do not have an external command - pnmcat.
>
> Is this required  for nviz and grass? Is it supposed to be a
> dependency? Or is it just assumed to be present on systems

pnmcat is a standard Netpbm tool (like those used in d.out.file).

> Here is what I get...
>
> Writing Tile 1 of 16
..
> Writing Tile 16 of 16
> Assembling Tiles
> sh: line 1: pnmcat: command not found
> pnmcat failed to create assembled image
> Check that pnmcat is installed and path is set

Check if you have it: from the grass terminal prompt
  which pnmcat
or just try running it with no options and see if you get a response.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't installed, they're pretty standard & I'm
pretty sure they've been on every Mac system I've looked at.

d.out.gpsdrive also needs netpbm (but doesn't test for it), d.out.file
uses gdal_translate.

Hamish