[GRASS-dev] hardcoded 'xterm': wrapper?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Aug 30 08:48:18 EDT 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
>>> It seems to work for me,
>> After this change any command from d.m that spawns terminal (d.zoom,
>> r.digit etc.) is broken on my Ubuntu Dapper, where gnome-terminal is a
>> default terminal.
>>
>> In spearfish60:
>>
>> $ d.m
>> add any layer
>> display it
>> press Zoom
>>
>> gnome-terminal pops-up saying:
>>
>> ---
>> /usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/grass-run.sh: line 30: d.zoom: command not
>> found
>>
>> ERROR: d.zoom exited abnormally. Press <enter> to continue.
>> ---
>
> It appears that gnome-terminal resets $PATH.
>
> In which case, you need to either set GRASS_XTERM to "xterm" to force
> the use of an xterm instead, or figure out how to make gnome-terminal
> preserve $PATH.

gnome-terminal is a default terminal for Gnome as you know. That means
that not only I, but most Gnome would have to do it. This means that
d.m in Grass 6.3 will be broken on many Linux boxes by default. If we
don't want it, shouldn't the change that breaks Grass 6.3 on Gnome
should be reverted?

What was wrong about using xterm by deafult?

>> And on the Grass terminal I get:
>>
>> ---
>> Option --tclass is no longer supported in this version of
>> gnome-terminal; you might want to create a profile with the desired
>> setting, and use the new --window-with-profile option
>
> That would appear to be a problem with the x-terminal-emulator script
> passing gnome-terminal options which it doesn't understand.

I could fix the problem for me, but I worry about other users who might
not be able to.

Maciek