[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] v.buffer doesn't create single polygon

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Aug 31 11:01:10 EDT 2006

Craig Feuerherdt wrote:
> I am attempting to buffer a line using;
>
> v.buffer input=lmr output=lmrb type=line buffer=1500
>
> Rather than getting one polygon, in several sections along the line I am
> getting many individual circles.
> I have ensured that the line has only one category using v.category and
> outputting to a new layer.
>
> According to v.clean input=lmr output=lmr5 type=line tool=rmdupl there are
> duplicate arcs.
>
> I am a little stumped and would appreciate help.
> thanks in advance.

v.buffer has been really buggy for buffering anything else that points
since ever. See a recent thread in the archive for example
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2006-August/035902.html.

Hopefully some kind folk can fix this fundamental GIS functionality for
6.3?

Maciek

P.S.

The only error proof workaround is v.to.rast, r.buffer, r.to.vect,
though it's got it's limitations due to discrete raster vs continous
vector.