[GRASS-dev] Re: r.sun units

Marcel Suri marcel.suri at jrc.it
Fri Dec 1 09:37:52 EST 2006

Hello,

I looked at the discussion related to the units used in r.sun and can
just summarize what were other have already said:

The mode 1 gives values of instantaneous solar power (irradiance)
impinging on a surface in "Watts per square meter" (W/m2) or in other
words in "joules per second per square meter" (J/m2/s)

The mode 2 integrates solar energy (irradiation) according to
user-defined steps that is received  by square meter during the whole
day (actually from sunrise to sunset). The result is given in Watt-hours
per square meter (Wh/m2) -> if multiplied by 3600, the daily total
energy received by the surface would be expressed in joules per square
meter (J/m2).

We are aware of using Watt-hours (as non-SI unit), but this is because
we work in the field of photovoltaic applications (solar electricity),
where this unit is still preferred.

Best regards,

Marcel

--
Marcel Suri
European Commission - DG Joint Research Centre

******

Interested in solar radiation data? Please help us to understand better
your needs, and fill in a questionnaire at:

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/iea-shc-task36/quest1_en.htm