[GRASS-dev] vask and undefined symbol: stdscr - was Re: [Gdal-dev] Error accessing Pgeo through ODBC

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Dec 1 18:45:35 EST 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:

> I have seen this message in the GDAL list:
>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:03:00AM +1100, Craig Feuerherdt wrote:
> >    I am using Gentoo Linux.
> ..
> >    When I attempt to use ogrinfo I get the following errors:
> >
> >    ogrinfo PGeo:b_pgeo
> >    ERROR 1: /usr/grass-6.1.0/lib/libgrass_vask.so: undefined symbol: stdscr
> >    ERROR 1: /usr/grass- 6.1.0/lib/libgrass_vask.so: undefined symbol: stdscr
> >    Segmentation fault
> >
> >    I can not work out why the error involves GRASS?
>
> cd lib/vask/
> grep stdscr *
> V_call.c:       getyx (stdscr, y, x);
> V_exit.c:       keypad(stdscr, 0);
> V_init.c:    keypad(stdscr, 1);
> V_support.c:    getyx(stdscr, cury, curx) ;

Note that most of the curses "functions" which don't begin with "w"
are actually macros which call the corresponding function with
"stdscr" as the target window, e.g.:

	#define addch(ch)		waddch(stdscr,ch)
	#define addchnstr(str,n)	waddchnstr(stdscr,str,n)
	#define addchstr(str)		waddchstr(stdscr,str)

... and so on.

My guess is that, in some curses implementations, stdscr might be a
macro. A normal GRASS binary distribution wouldn't be compatible with
such an implementation; you would need to re-compile GRASS.