[GRASS-dev] Re: v.in.gpsbabel bug? (with es file)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 04:33:29 EST 2006

> Leonardo:
> >  Hi all,
> >  I'm testing v.in.gpsbabel but I found a not corrspondence between
> >  tha datas associated to the point in gps and the datas associated
> >  to the new vector.
> >
> > If I use a gps Garmin 12 (not Etrex) the label associated to the
> > points  (second column in the file
> >  gps.csv, download by gpstrans) is not present in the table
> >  associated to the vector (gpsbabel.dbf).
> >
> > If I use gps Garmin 12 Etrex it works well (gpsbabel_etrex.dbf).

Davide:
> I think that the field is not correctly recognized by gpsbabel, the
> script make only textual manipulation on his output...
> It can be that gpsbabel download the column with a different tag from
> the other garmin gps, and this tag is not included in csv
> stylesheet... If the problem is only on one gps receiver model, I
> think it his hard to fix (we had to download a meaningless column for
> all others gps receivers), but if it is common problem, we had to fix
> it.
>
> Leonardo, please try watching on temporary files to see if I'm right.
>
> PS Please report if it happens on other receivers...

All our Garmins are currently out in the field. I can help test whenever
they get back.

Note that "date" column is really just the comments field. It so happens
that the default comment when you make a new waypoint is the current
time and date. As the user can change it to anything, v.in.gpsbabel
should not treat that field as a timestamp, just as a string comment.

regards,
Hamish