[GRASS-dev] v.proj transforming z co-ordinates

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Tue Dec 5 17:15:09 EST 2006

Paul,

Summarising:

Could you please confirm/deny the 2 statemements below - so that I'm
sure I'm not screwing/missunderstanding something:

1. The -z switch is not the default; but it *was* - before you made it
and option few months ago.

2. One should use it only when his data is 3D, he is sure the Z coord
is an an ellipsoidal height, and he is transforming between 2 different
ellipsoids.

3. Even if the Z coord of my vector is an ellipsoidal height, using -z
is not supposed to make any change when transformimg between eg.
UTM/WGS84 and ll/WGS84; *it doesn't do any harm though*.

I know I'm slow on this, but please bear with me :). I don't want to
mess something up in future with my data or advise something stupid to
others.

Cheers,
Maciek