[GRASS-dev] more NVIZ updates

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 5 21:01:48 EST 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 8:01 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On 12/5/06 2:14 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Here are some initial comments and questions before I start working on
> these...
>

>> some comments/suggestions:
>>
>> * "Visualize->Volumes" is confusing as vector volumes can exist too
>> (watertower, dinosaur)

just a note -

there is a difference - 3D rasters represent trivariate functions
so at each point in 3D space you can have a different value - I think
calling this a volume is quite intuitive

watertower, dinosaur - 3D vector surfaces are quite different - if
you try to represent
it by a volume you would have it filled with just 1 and no-data.
So I don't think that 3D surfaces or 3D vectors should be called
volumes - you essentially have 3D points, lines and areas.

Helena

P.S. I am working on the GRASSbook 3rd edition and I have a list of
terminology
troubles that we have in the manual pages and other documentation.
I will bring it up for discussion when I feel I have most of them to
make the discussion
most efficient and get the big picture too.