[GRASS-dev] g.mapsets use of sleep()

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Dec 6 00:12:12 EST 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > OK, so it's not exactly "elegant", but assuming the existence of a
> > "sleep" command doesn't seem to be any more of a Unix-ism than
> > assuming the existence of an "ls" command.
>
> so  #include <unistd.h>  is no good in windows?

No; the header exists, but it doesn't declare sleep(). The <stdlib.h>
header declares _sleep(), although apparently this is deprecated (it
exists in the MSVCRT DLL, but isn't listed in the documentation index)
in favour of Sleep().

> isn't the system("ls") going to be a problem as well?

Only if you don't have "ls" ;)

A lot of the [G_]system and [G_]popen calls in GRASS (I count 105)
will be similarly problematic. Some will be calling GRASS programs,
but a lot use Unix commands.