[GRASS-dev] v.to.db option=slope

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Dec 12 01:12:48 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 01:40:18PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > to verify exactly the coastline length for Italy which is given
> > incorrectly in the ASPRS Grid & datums paper on Italy.
>

> to be pedantic:
>
> coastline length is a classic fractal problem with no real answer.

> or did you get different answers from the same dataset, reprojected?

I am aware of this fractal problem but that was not the point.

One year ago the module reported a few *degree* as length
for a boundary which was nonsense for the user. Now it calculated
the geodetic length of the vector pieces.

Markus

PS: http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2005-November/020030.html
    http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2005-November/020099.html
    http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2005-November/020160.html