[GRASS-dev] v.to.db option=slope

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Tue Dec 12 02:28:55 EST 2006

hallo,
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:01:21PM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Jachym
> Just a little comment below:
>
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> >>hi jachym,
> >>
> >>does it now work for LatLong? I guess I overlooked some email.
> >>
> [...]
> >no, it does not :-( it does not even work with option=length, because of
> >

> >Vect_cidx_get_num_unique_cats_by_index ( &Map,
> >Vect_cidx_get_field_index(&Map, options.field ) );
> >
> >in main.c returns 1634887471 of unique cats by index and v.to.db ends up
> >with G_calloc error: could not allocat memory.
> >
> >I have no clue, how to fix this bug.
>
> I (maybe others) interpreted this as you admitting that the patch was not
> yet ready/good enough to commit to CVS! So maybe that's why nobody
> complained - Is it true that wrong results will be given in a lat/long
> location with no warning? If so, then something should be changed.
> If not, and I've misunderstood, then it's all OK!
>
> Paul

Slope is calculated with line lenght. Calculating line length on
lat/long location does not work either. This patch adds new funtionality
and (should) does not break old ones. I tryed this in GRASS 6.2 and
calculating line length on lat/long location does not work there too.

So, as I got mostly positive feedback and as I did not break any
funtionality, I commited the patch.

I also tryed to describe, why this does not work on lat/long locations.
Sorry, I was not able to find out, where exactly the problem is. I
guess, some variable is not initialized.

If I should not commit the patch, because of this all, I'm sorry and
will remove this patch from cvs.

I'll fill the bug tracker for the length issue.

Jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz