[GRASS-dev] updates to grass startup

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Dec 12 17:22:59 EST 2006

I just committed a set of patches to the GRASS startup tcltk files
(gis_set.tcl, epsg_option.tcl, and file_option.tcl). These are designed to
make creating a new location from EPSG code or georeferenced file more
robust. This is especially important for Windows users who cannot make a new
location with g.proj.

I¹ve tested these on my Mac OSX with x11 GRASS cvs build of last Friday and
they seem to be fine. Please test on other platforms.

Also, if we are going to have EPSG codes as a standard way to create a new
location (and I think this is a handy way to go), can we distribute a copy
of the EPSG file inside the GRASS directory structure (e.g., in the infamous
catchall etc or another directory)? The EPSG file is ending up in different
places on different architectures making it difficult to find. If it was
always in the same place, within the GRASS hierarchy, it would be easy to
make this the default location for the GUI.

Obviously the next thing to do is to make it searchable.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671