[GRASS-dev] updates to grass startup

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 06:10:22 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> I just committed a set of patches to the GRASS startup tcltk files
> (gis_set.tcl, epsg_option.tcl, and file_option.tcl). These are
> designed to make creating a new location from EPSG code or
> georeferenced file more robust. This is especially important for
> Windows users who cannot make a new location with g.proj.
>
> I¹ve tested these on my Mac OSX with x11 GRASS cvs build of last
> Friday and they seem to be fine. Please test on other platforms.

now locations and mapsets are not sorted in alphabetical order.
:/

> Also, if we are going to have EPSG codes as a standard way to create a
> new location (and I think this is a handy way to go), can we
> distribute a copy of the EPSG file inside the GRASS directory
> structure (e.g., in the infamous catchall etc or another directory)?
> The EPSG file is ending up in different places on different
> architectures making it difficult to find. If it was always in the
> same place, within the GRASS hierarchy, it would be easy to make this
> the default location for the GUI.

not for, but not strongly against, however:
- The EPSG database and proj.4 are likely to be updated more often than
GRASS is.
- packagers should set --with-proj-share=, ./configure should give a
clear error message if not found for home-brew. Tcl then finds this dir
in the "PROJSHARE" variable.

> Obviously the next thing to do is to make it searchable.

yes please, and auto-fill the highlighted value in the create dialogue.

Hamish