[GRASS-dev] Re: updates to grass startup

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:30:58 EST 2006

Hi,

my cleanup just fixed bugs 5328 and 5373. It also pariatly fixed 5372
and 5371 (My fault - too much bugs in one report).

Summarising up:

Currently there is no mechanism to catch error if creating of new
location has failed. Current code always will look like it has suceed
and will restart GRASS to strat use newly created location. Hamish
code will only make error message visible to user (good thing), but
GRASS should not continue as if everything was OK.

When creating new location from EPSG code, there is some error in
cleaning up temporary location in case of error. (See below)

Creating new location from georeferenced file still will not work, as
it needs some (temporary) location to run g.proj. Probably
make_location_epsg.sh.in could be used to create new, similar script
for georeferenced file too. Or probaby some new script, that creates
valid temporary location and then cleans up for any module, that may
need temporary location for running (do we need such script?).

To reproduce problems - 1) rm .grassrc6 (This why n00bs report
unreporoducable errors - daily grass users always have .grassrc6 with
valid locations/mapsets);
2) create new location with EPSG code 1234 - tmp location is left over;
3) repeat 1st step and now create new location from valid
georeferenced file - error.

Currently I'm not as good in coding to fix those problems :(

Just trying to make GRASS fool proof,
Maris.