[GRASS-dev] G.proj requirements?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Dec 15 02:09:29 EST 2006

Maris Nartiss noticed that if you are starting from scratch (i.e., you have
no locations already defined), you can¹t create a new location from a
georeferenced file. But you can create one from an EPSG code.

I¹m working on the epsg startup and have found that Markus did a bash script
that makes an epsg created location functional even when there is no prior
location defined. This script creates a temporary location for use while
g.proj is running, and then deletes it.

I¹m wrapping this code into the new epsg_option.tcl script I've done (it now
can search the EPSG file and automatically grab the code). I can do the same
for the file_option.tcl script to make creating a new location from a
georeferenced file equally functional.

So here is what I need to know, if anyone has the answer. What does g.proj
*REALLY* need in order to run?

I'm beginning to think that it needs an existing .grassrc6 file with a
GISDBASE path defined (and set as an environmental variable) so that it
knows where to put a new location.

Is this all? Or does it also need a GISDBASE path with at least one location
already defined? Does it need a .grassrc6 file, or is setting the GISDBASE
environmental variable good enough?

This could really simplify the code for creating a new location.

Thanks
Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University