[GRASS-dev] G.proj requirements?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Dec 15 16:39:26 EST 2006

OK. This helps a LOT!

AFAICT, there should always be a GISRC file created by init.sh with some
kind of path to a folder that can serve as a GRASS database.

So this leaves us with asking why g.proj will fail. I'll need to run some
tests I guess. And maybe you and Maris can too.

An easy thing to do is get GRASS initialized but stop at the startup GUI
screen. Go find the session GISRC file and see what is in it for an initial
startup vs. a startup of someone with a valid .grassrc6 file.

What happens if you change this prior to trying to create a location using a
georeferenced file?

Michael

On 12/15/06 11:07 AM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> All modules that use the parser do. They simply won't work without a GISRC
> file. To see this, just try changing the GISRC environment variable to a
> non-existent file within a GRASS text-based session and try running any
> GRASS command. It won't work. I think setting the GISRC environment
> variable and/or making sure it is set properly is the main thing to look
> at rather than creating new .grassrc6 files everywhere (the file can
> actually of course have any name---it just needs to be contained in the
> GISRC environment variable).

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671