[GRASS-dev] no X monitors

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Dec 18 12:44:39 EST 2006

Paul Van Deusen wrote:

> That was the problem. It works if I configure like this:
> ./configure --without-opengl --x-includes=/usr/includes/X11
> --x-libraries=/usr/lib

The --x-includes= switch implies that certain X headers haven't been
installed correctly. X headers always live in a directory named "X11",
but that is part of the header name, not the search path.

E.g. for versions of X installed in /usr/X11R6, the headers are
normally found as e.g. /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h etc. However, the
correct --x-includes= setting would be /usr/X11R6/include (which is
the default) rather than /usr/X11R6/include/X11, as the headers are
referenced as e.g. "#include <X11/Xlib.h>"

Similarly, with X installed under /usr, neither of those switches are
necessary if it has been installed correctly. Gentoo installs to /usr
(e.g. libraries as /usr/lib/libX11.so etc, headers as
/usr/include/X11/Xlib.h etc), and neither --x-includes= nor --x-libs=
are required.