[GRASS-dev] running with GISBASE as a symlink?

William Kyngesburye kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com
Wed Dec 20 01:07:13 EST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 10:27 PM, Hamish wrote:

> I took the following to mean that it included the GRASS plugin, not
> that
> it included functional copies of the ported modules + minimum
> framework to
> allow those to run.
>
>  1 All packages contain GRASS support unless otherwise indicated.

I took a look at the qgis.org Qgis, and it appears to me like the
grass libs in the package are just for library linking for the GRASS
plugin/provider.  A couple things that are normally found in the
GRASS etc folder are missing for QGis to consider this a "GISBASE".

> some more tests:
>
> * creating a shorcut on the desktop to GRASS.app/Resources/ then
> pointing
>  QGIS's GISBASE file dialog to that gets you started, but it fails
> when you
>  try and run a module (eg v.buffer)

Might be the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH problem again.  Or PATH missing the
GRASS bin and scripts folders.

> * v.buffer works ok if QGIS was started from the GRASS terminal
> prompt.
>

> sometimes when reclosing mapset I get this error:
>   Cannot close mapset. Cannot remove map set lock: /.../
> $MAPSET/.gislock
>
> and in the term window:
>   dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/grass-6.2.1/lib/
> libgrass_gproj.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Apps/GRASS.app/.../r.in.gdal
>   Reason: image not found
>

> I've never had GRASS in /usr/local/ on that machine...

That would be the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH problem.  Without the full GRASS
environment, GRASS commands can't find the GRASS libraries - it's
trying the original build location.  Perhaps Qgis needs to do more
environment setup, like GRASS does in init.sh?

> I tried setting "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GISBASE/lib", no luck.

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Looking at the grass init.sh, there are a few environment variables
that Qgis might need to set, if it doesn't already, based on GISBASE,
or that you could try from the Terminal as a test:

PATH, to find the GRASS module executables and scripts
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, for the libraries
ETC, for support for some modules

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy