[GRASS-dev] g.list -a

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 04:31:13 EST 2006

Hi,

I have just one general (maybe a little bit silly;-) question. There
are number of modules which follow this pattern:

* there is one (determinative) parameter (e.g. type in g.list)
* and the flag for all types (e.g. -a -- List all data types)

I can see two distinct approaches:

1) the determinative parameter is requested

-> usage: g.list -a type=

This is more precise for parsing syntax of the module, I think. On the
other hand a little bit confusing for the user.

2) the determinative parameter is not requested

-> usage: g.list -a

This construction is more clear for the user I hope. But it cause more
problems for programmer -- there is a need to handle meaningless usage
of the module, e.g. g.list -f (verbose listing).

I am not sure which approach is better.

Best regards, Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *