[GRASS5] Platform for next generation UI

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Jan 2 12:08:18 EST 2006

Sorry if I'm rude, but I really don't understand why, with very limited
programming manpower, thinking of starting from scratch instead of joining
forces with an energetic project like qgis?
It takes really so little to add tools to an already working tool, and there
is a very good tool, ready to use, with a number of important advantages over
the previous ones, that it seems very obvious to me to concentrate efforts on
this.
I'm probably a bit frustrated by the fact that several important things are
missing for the day-to-day work, and they seem so close, but very few people
seems to think about them. As a result, "normal" users still have much
trouble in deploying real world freeGIS solutions.
Your skills are precious to the (small!) freeGIS community - please direct
them to the most needed functions.
Sorry again if someone get offended by my word - I do appreciate a lot your
contributions.
pc

At 16:59, lunedì 02 gennaio 2006, Trevor Wiens has probably written:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:04:31 +0000
>
> Based on these comments and others in Glynn's reply to my query there
> is a lot of interim work to do. This approach seems reasonable as it
> moves things forward in a way we are assured of some result. I don't
> know tcl/tk but am willing to learn and help or simply work on updating
> documentation as things change if that would be more efficient. I'm
> also willing to look through some of the modules and work with others
> to set up alternative code based on compilation options or a runtime
> setting to adjust module behaviour to operate in the current situation
> or the planned one.
>
> Perhaps others who have offered to help using specific tool kits Bob
> with GTK and Christian with Qt can still work on conceptual issues such
> as CLI/GUI interaction without committing us to any new toolkit yet,
> but simply laying groundwork for a new GUI?
>
> It is important to note however that improving the current Tcl/tk gui
> increases our chances that we will not bother changing toolkits.
>
> I hope my comments have been and will continue to be useful. I'm very
> flexible on the approach we take. I was enthusiastic about building
> something from scratch with Qt or GTK. Similarly, building with wxPython
> or evolving the existing tcl/tk interface. Glynn's comments have been
> wise and demonstrated a much better understanding of the situation
> than I have, so I'm happy to defer to his and others judgement.

Paolo Cavallini
email+jabber: cavallini at faunalia.it
www.faunalia.it