[GRASS5] Platform for next generation UI

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jan 6 12:07:10 EST 2006

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Trevor Wiens wrote:
>>
>>I think that there is a tendency among programmers in general to apply
>>the tools they are most comfortable with beyond their optimal use.
>>Interpreted languages like Python are often quite suitable for GUI
>>development. So, I wonder if we should consider, using a hybrid
>>strategy especially if it will enable us to make the transition from
>>GRASS in its current state to a more GUI friendly GRASS. Further, it
>>that were to work, why rework the transitional GUI in C?
>

> Using a minority language is likely to limit the number of people who
> will work on the code. This is more of an issue for maintenance than
> for the original development.

I completely agree with Glynn concerning the lack of developers (altough
I think that using an "easy" language such as Python might actually
allow more people to participate in developing...), but I do really like
the idea of a scripted language for the GUI as it allows very easy and
rapid changes to the GUI without any need for compilation. Just look at
the way that Michael has been able to send us tcl/tk files for testing
which we could just use as drop-in replacement for the existing
installed GUI. I find this a fairly nice feature which allows
non-programmers to participate more actively.

Moritz