[GRASS5] Rename of development mailing list?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 17 05:34:15 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:02:45PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> re. grasslist at baylor.edu
>
> It is not a good thing that a critical part of our infrastructure is
> outside our control.

I agree.

> At minimum, when the new server is up and running
> and if grass5 is migrated to grass-devel at grass.itc.it, a shadow
> grass-users at grass.itc.it list should be set up "just in case".

It's there for a couple of years :-)
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/
Only, you cannot post to it. We are prepared...

To carry over the list from Baylor to grass.itc.it is easily
done (in a few minutes, I just have to insert the list of
receipients from Baylor into our mailman).

> I imagine when the Baylor server eventually dies one day they might not
> bother to put grasslist back up in any sort of hurry, leaving us in a
> lurch.
>
> On the other hand, there is great value in continuity & delegation.

Well, they never created an archive. That's why I created the shadow
list here and re-created the archive from usenet messages and other
sources.

Why not make a poll here? If users agree, we move it here.
Postings still sent to Baylor will arrive here in any case as
the Mailman here is subscribed as user to the Baylor list :-)

cheers

 Markus