[GRASS5] [bug #4026] (grass) v.to.points: a pair of identicaly located points in output when the input is a closed line

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Jan 20 09:59:23 EST 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4026

Subject: v.to.points: a pair of identicaly located points in output when the input is a closed line

Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: cvs 2005.01.10

When v.to.points is run on a closed line, there will be one pair of identicaly located  points - one will be the "starting" point with cat=1 and along=0.0, and the other will be the "ending" point of a line (which is exactly the same as the "starting" since this a closed line) with the maximum "cat" and "along" attribute of all.

It took me quite some time to sort it out. It's not documented. Looks dumb obvious now to me, as there is the "along" calculated by default. But could there be at least a switch to turn this behaviour off? When transforming my isolines to points I need only one point per one x,y with the attribute copied form the input line. And I guess this is the default behaviour users would normally expect from v.to.points.

Maciek