[GRASS5] [bug #4028] (grass) d.grid -g fails for Washington State Plane South Projection

guest user via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sat Jan 21 14:31:18 EST 2006

OK, I understand exactly what is happening now. The bug is in the user not grass.

The HARN grids only cover Washington and Oregon. The part of the map I am
drawing includes some of Canada. That is outside the transformation grid and
therefore it cannot be projected. Hence the failure:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (WASPN_NAD83):~ > d.grid size=00:30:00 origin=0,0
color=170:170:170 bordercolor=0:0:0 -g
pj_transform() failed
cause: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
ERROR: Error in pj_do_proj

The reason it worked in the one instance I mentioned above is because I failed
to assign a transformation grid. In that case there are no problems drawing
Canada and Washington together since I am just using a simple mathematical
projection.

The error message in this case could be a bit more clear. Something like:

pj_transform() failed
cause: current region extends beyond the HPGN transformation grid boundary.

David