[GRASS-dev] Re: gis.m issues

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 22:24:39 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> > some GIS.m / menu.tcl issues:
> >
> > * launch r.digit from gis.m menu with no Map Display open leads to a
> > <region not set> error.
>
> This is a problem with r.digit.
>
> It won't start up in an xterm. I can't get it to start in an xterm
> from the command line either--xterm -e r.digit just starts the TclTk
> gui. It flashes a small dialog that disappears too quickly for me to
> read.

please update from CVS.

now grass-run.sh (lib/init/g-r.src) pauses if the module ends in an
error.

also r.digit has been changed to never use a startup GUI.

> Other commands like i.points start up fine in an xterm. So I don't
> know what is wrong.

r.digit needs a GIS.m Map Display window open to get region info from.

> There is a different issue with d.rast.edit in that it wants to have a
> map displayed in an xmon, but there is not place to specify the map
> (i.e., you must open it separately using d.rast).

we can work on that, either with a bgmap= option or full bgcmd= like
v.digit.

same issue for r.digit, but I'd rather we leave r.digit alone and focus
on a new v.digit/r.digit replacement (write to ascii file on exit then
feed to "v.in.ascii format=standard" or r.in.poly). I think it is pretty
simple --- but we need to pick a Wx/Gtk Python flavour to move ahead!

Hamish