[GRASS-dev] G_make_aspect*_colors() broken

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 6 00:42:51 EDT 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 12:31 AM, Brad Douglas wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 04:21 +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> Brad Douglas wrote:
>>
>>> G_make_aspect*_colors() in lib/gis/color_asp.c is broken.  It
>>> chooses
>>> (defaults to?) a greyscale ramp, rather than what is expected for
>>> aspect
>>> maps.
>>>
>>> Verified with r.slope.aspect and r.colors.
>>
>> It creates a black->white->black double ramp, with the half-way point
>> being black. This will do the right thing, provided that your aspect
>> map covers the full range of possible values (e.g. -180 to 180 or
>> 360), but won't work if a the extrema are absent.
>
> That's not how it used to work and is down right confusing to examine
> visually.  Each "direction" used to have a distinctive color
> assigned to
> it.

Brad - that is what we have in the rst programs. But for historical
reasons,
r.slope.aspect has the old greyscale color table - when I did the
colored aspect
color table for rst there were already too many users used to the
greyscale aspect map
produced by r.slope.aspect that I did not want to change it (I am
talking about early 90ies here).
Now, when we have the shaded relief module maybe we could unify the
outputs
from rst and r.slope.aspect, but I would leave for the next release,
unless others feel that it should be done now.

Helena