[GRASS-dev] New raster-to-raster3d conversion module

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Jul 10 11:07:54 EDT 2006

Soeren,

that sounds cool.
However, I am to dumb to understand just exactly what the module
does from the screenshot you provided.
Could you elaborate?

3D functionality in GRASS is really getting somewhere.
The only things I could wish for:

1. Make volume vizualization work in NVIZ
2. Module to convert 3D Polygon -> 3D raster map
3. Module to query 3d raster value using 3D vector points/coordinates
4. Categorization and information like r.report provides

Maybe for GRASS 6.2?

Thanks,

Benjamin.

Soeren Gebbert wrote:
> Dear Hamish,
>
> On Monday 10 July 2006 02:53, Hamish wrote:
>
>>Soeren Gebbert wrote:
>>
>>>i would like to add a new raster-to-raster3d conversion module
>>>to the grass6.1 CVS in the near future.
>>>
>>>The module is called r.elev.to.rast3.
>>>It creates a new 3D raster map from a 2D elevation and a
>>>2D "value" raster map. The principal functioning is shown here:
>>>http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.elev.to.rast3.png
>>
>>Congratulations on the new module!
>

> Many thanks!
>

>>>I would like to ask if i can commit this module next week, or if i
>>>have to wait until  GRASS 6.1.0 is released?
>>>I have tested this module with different datasets and it seems to work
>>>properly. And i will add some tests to the grass test-suite.
>>

>>If the new module is ready to be in CVS, but you are not sure if it is
>>release-ready, you can always put it in CVS but not add it to the
>>Makefile or GUI menus. (as long as the change doesn't touch other parts
>>of the software)
>

> Ok, i will submit it after some more testing, but will not add it to the Makefile/GUI.
>

>>>I think together with r.to.rast3
>>>http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r.to.rast3.png
>>>r3.to.rast
>>>http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r3.to.rast.png
>>>and r3.cross.rast
>>>http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/r3.cross.rast.png
>>>the raster<->rast3d modelling/conversion capabilities are mostly
>>>complete.
>>

>>Small versions of those pics would be a great addition to the help
>>pages, see r.terraflow, v.voronoi for examples.
>

> Thats a great idea, i will do this.
>
> Best regards
> Soeren
>

>>Hamish

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany