[GRASS-dev] start up GUI text

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jul 15 19:28:17 EDT 2006

Hamish,

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:56:44 +1200
> To: grass5 <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] start up GUI text
>
> Hi,
>
> I notice on the GUI start up screen we have:
>
> Define new location by:
> [Use projection values]
> [Use EPSG values]
> [Use georeferenced file]

Actually, it says ...

Define new location:
[Use projection values]
[Use EPSG values]
[Use georeferenced file]

... not "Define new location by:"

I'm looking at code downloaded from the cvs today. Is this OK, or does ...

Define new location by:
[Projection values]
[EPSG values]
[Georeferenced file]

...sound better? Makes no difference to me as long as it's understandable.

> also (database)
> Path to location:   -> Data Path:   ?

Trying to get away from old "database" term that is confusing to many
people. What this refers to, of course, is simply the directory where your
location is located.

Note, that "location" seems somewhat confusing too, but is deeply embedded
into GRASS and is no worse than the jargon one has to learn for other GIS
programs.

So what to call this? Data path is OK, but I'm trying to tie it back to
GRASS location terminology because locations are the critical thing to start
with.

> also
> [Cancel] -> [Quit] or [Exit] ?

I simply used the pre-existing button name. Either of the others is OK with
me. Which do you and others prefer?

> also
> lower case the "V" of "Version 6.1. ..." ?

Again, just used the prior text. Easy to change. I'll commit it next week.

> also
> "The world's leading open source GIS"
>
> a) needed?
> b) poor grammar?

Copied from the web site home page. What's wrong with the grammar?

> c) perhaps we can come up with something catchier?

Sure. Suggestions?

This was all pretty fast and dirty to improve the startup screen. So it's
great if we can fine tune it further.