[GRASS-dev] Using current grass gui.tcl in python programs.

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jul 16 12:34:32 EDT 2006

I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. Sorry. Since all GRASS
distributions already have TclTk installed, is there any advantage to
redoing gui.tcl to work in a Tkinter environment for Python testing
purposes? Or are we better off building on the python gui module that Markus
put into the cvs?

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

> From: Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz>
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:08:22 +0200
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: Cedric Shock <cedricgrass at shockfamily.net>, <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Using current grass gui.tcl in python programs.
>
> If I'm not wrong, Tk goes with standard python distribution for all
> platforms
>
> jachym
>
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 05:39:25PM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
>> Thanks Cedric.
>>
>> Good to see you back.
>>
>> Doesn't Tkinter require TclTk to be installed? If so, is there an advantage
>> to having gui.tcl run under Python/Tkinter vs. Wish as it does now? That is,
>> the wxPython prototype I'm working on can launch a GRASS command and it's
>> TclTk gui. Of course this means I'm running part of the UI under TclTk and
>> part under wxPython at the moment. Does Tkinter change this?
>>
>> Michael
>> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> phone: 480-965-6213
>> fax: 480-965-7671
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>>

>>> From: Cedric Shock <cedricgrass at shockfamily.net>
>>> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:43:49 -0700
>>> To: <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
>>> Subject: [GRASS-dev] Using current grass gui.tcl in python programs.
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This might be a quick way to get up and running with playing with python
>>> development. It's fairly easy to use the current gui.tcl in python. Here's
>>> an
>>> example (copy / paste into python run in grass). This could all be bundled
>>> up
>>> and abstracted away to be more useful. I also stuck this snippit on the wiki
>>> at http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_and_Python , so if you make
>>> improvements please share them here and there.
>>>
>>> --Cedric
>>>
>>> import Tkinter
>>> import os
>>>
>>> # Startup (onde):