[GRASS-dev] String standardization

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 03:50:45 EDT 2006

Brad wrote:
> I've noticed that there is a wide range of output string formatting
> throughout GRASS.  Should we standardize on how text in formatted for
> various situations (warnings, errors, etc)?
>
> For instance, I've seen mapsets displayed in '[]', '<>', or no
> separation at all from the rest of the text.
>
> Also, I see that text may begin capitalized or lower case and may or
> may not end with punctuation.

I fully agree.

For i18n reasons mostly I have taken to copying strings from other
modules rather than reinvent my own when doing something new or
i18n'zing a module.

e.g.

raster$ grep -rI -A5 G_open_raster_new * | grep fatal | cut -f2- -d'('

and then pick my favorite:
  _("Unable to create raster map <%s>")

same issue with italicized module names and bolded option convensions
used in the help pages.

Hamish