[GRASS-dev] michael: grass6/lib/initgis_set.t cl, 1.24, 1.25

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 04:52:18 EDT 2006

Helena wrote:

> 1. No problems with the welcome message
> (Hamish complained about grammar, but nobody else so I guess it is
> OK): [...]
> "The world's leading open source GIS"

Perhaps poor sentence structure as opposed to poor "grammar".
("foremost" would be more correct, but sounds ~~~)

Radio Free GIS

> --- discussion on how to improve starting GRASS with new
> location------- I looks like this may not be as difficult as percieved
> if we take into account what the user has before he starts to work
> with GRASS:

[a pull-down menu would be nice here]

> User who wants to start grass may have:
> 1. georeferenced file with prj info

we already have a button on the startup GUI for this one,

> 2. georeferenced file but no prj - should we try to guess the coord.
> system - lat/long would be easy, UTM maybe?, state plane would be a
> lot of work, I don't know about the rest of the world.  I don't
> think that you can guess a datum?

Please, no. We shouldn't even infer lat/lon from data range. If in
doubt, default to XY.

> 3. non-georeferenced file

simple XY location

> 4. nothing - can this happen?

often we start with no data, but know the proj info or EPSG code.
First data arrives with e.g. i.rectify or m.proj.

> 2. "Use EPSG values" would stay second choice but we can make it
> more user friendly:
..
> - is it possible to make EPSG list searchable?

hear hear. "/" search or simple "find text" dialog please..
currently the browse EPSG file is pretty useless as it is so long.

Hamish