[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.1.0 branch status

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jul 24 03:35:08 EDT 2006

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> >> Next week we should get out 6.1.0beta2 or maybe RC1.
> >
> > We still have the following open issues:
> >
> > Showstoppers:
> > * NVIZ volume broken (IMHO showstopper, since this worked already)
> >    https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4725
> > * wording of start up GUI text (showstopper)
> >
> > Not showstoppers:
> > * NVIZ: show vector map on startup (Bob? Your patch doesn't work for me)
>
> Other serious unresolved NVIZ issues:

Regarding this one:

> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3041

As I have pointed out before, the problems with image dumping are due
to this:

	# Set the cancel function for drawing
	Nset_cancel_func update

This simply won't work.

Calling "update" can result in arbitrary event handlers being called.
Some of them (i.e. almost anything related to the Togl canvas) will
result in changes to the OpenGL context which will break the rendering
performed by the image dumping code.

Either the cancellation function will have to restore the OpenGL state
(and possibly some NVIZ state) before returning, or the OGSF library
will need to be modified to allow long rendering tasks to be performed
incrementally (i.e. replacing do-it-all with separate
begin/do-one-part/end operations).

Or, alternatively, you'll just have to live with the UI being
unresponsive during image dumping.