[GRASS-dev] d.where in gis.m ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jul 28 04:48:18 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> Moritz,
>
> Click the query button on the toolbar of the map display. The coordinates
> and the value (cat, label for raster; cat, attributes for vector) will show
> up in the output window.

Yes, I know about this feature, it is just not very convenient for
collecting a series of point coordinates, as it puts out quite a lot of
information (especially if there are many attribute columns) and does so
line by line, so you have to go back and copy first the X, then the Y...

For me it could just be a key stroke which copies the coordinates of the
current mouse position (the ones displayed at the bottom) making it
possible to paste them somewhere. But ideally, it should be possible to
collect a series of point coordinates before copying them. Maybe just a
modifier key to the query tool to make it only output coordinates ?

As an example for what my problem is, here is output from the query button:

East: 150376.834025
North: 172832.39834
Map: UrbAdm_Mu
Mapset: mlennert
Object type: Area
Sq Meters: 7896417.508
Hectares: 789.642
Acres: 1951.200
Sq Miles: 3.0487
Layer: 1
Category: 9
driver: pg
database: urbis
table: UrbAdm_Mu
key column: cat
cat : 9
muid : 8500
polid : 6
reid : 1
munc : 21015
mu3c : 085
mudn : Schaarbeek
mudnin : SC
mufn : Schaerbeek
mufnin : SC

East: 148713.165975
North: 165276.572614
Map: UrbAdm_Mu
Mapset: mlennert
Object type: Area
Sq Meters: 22861322.565
Hectares: 2286.132
Acres: 5649.019
Sq Miles: 8.8266
Layer: 1
Category: 10
driver: pg
database: urbis
table: UrbAdm_Mu
key column: cat
cat : 10
muid : 8600
polid : 2
reid : 1
munc : 21016
mu3c : 086
mudn : Ukkel
mudnin : UK
mufn : Uccle
mufnin : UC

and here d.where output:

 > d.where

Buttons:
Left:   where am i
Middle: draw to/from here
Right:  quit this

              EAST:             NORTH:
    148883.72083333    170687.10416667
        147561.1625    171209.16666667
    148013.61666667        172427.3125
        151111.1875    172914.57083333
    151702.85833333    170687.10416667
    148744.50416667    169677.78333333

If for example, you just need the coordinates for start point and end
point for a path, d.where's output is much easier to use.