[GRASS-dev] Discussing new GUI toolkit: v.pydigit

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jun 1 10:07:19 EDT 2006

Ooh - xev tells me that the two-fingered right-click indeed does
'button 3' in X11.  Another interesting thing: another two-fingered
trick is scrolling, which seems to work also, giving buttons 4 & 5 in
X11, the scroll-wheel I presume.

With the emulate 3 button mouse option on in X11, it's apple-click
for right-click (and option for middle).  These also show the correct
button click in xev, but the apple/option keys precede that, which
might confuse some X11 programs (not GRASS).

On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:10 AM, Hamish wrote:

>> I wonder - does it (python I assume you mean here) get button-click
>> info from the system, or interpret mouse/trackpad directly?  A
>> feature of recent PowerBooks, and the new MacBook I'm lovin', is (if
>> one uses the pad-tap feature) tapping with *two* fingers does a
>> right-
>>
>> click.  If Python sees it as left/right click, you wouldn't have to
>> worry about trying to interpret meta-keys as well.  Same goes for
>> ctrl-click - it's a standard setup for the system to do a right-click
>>
>> - if Python sees this as right-click instead of ctrl-click, it
>> wouldn't have to deal with having to have alternatives for extra
>> buttons on a Mac.  There's nothing for a middle-click, so we're only
>> down to two buttons, not one.
>>
>> There are also drivers available to do similar things for older
>> PowerBooks.
>
> AFAIR, ctrl-click and apple-click on the mac were translated to
> middle/right click somewhere in the system before X11. (but it doesn't
> always work right in some X applications)
>
> Play with "xev" to test?
>

> Hamish

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy