[GRASS-dev] Discussing new GUI toolkit: v.pydigit

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 2 07:15:01 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> > Hamish, and others, I went through the drivers manual page, but I
> > found nothing about how to acess png/ppm file without need to store it
> > to the disk. Could you point me the the right place
> > (source/manual/example), where I could get it?
>
> I don't think it's there. I don't thing the PNG driver help page even
> mentions the .PPM ability..

    GRASS_PNGFILE=filename

    the filename to put the resulting image  in,  default  is
    map.png.   If  you  set GRASS_PNGFILE to a filename which
    ends in ".ppm", a PPM file will be created.

> I do not know of these things, but as a wild guess: the PNG driver could
> be enhanced to send data to a UNIX socket instead of a disk file?

It can write data to a file when it's appropriate (i.e. when it
terminates, or when a client disconnects), but you can only write data
to a socket when something is connected to the other end and is
willing to read the data.

What's the problem with writing to a file, anyhow?

> Would that work for WinGW?

Windows doesn't support Unix-domain sockets.