[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 08:47:45 EDT 2006

IMO we should pick a GUI language based on its long term merits, not
because we have a nice editor for one. Fast development is nice, but
lack of bug reports is much nicer. (especially if they are upstream
bugs)

Having the resulting GUI look somewhat native is indeed very important
on the Mac. Looking native but acting like GRASS on all platforms isn't
too bad I think. Rewritting to conditionally "become" a Mac app on Mac
and no where else is surely a bad idea. Linux people will be used to a
world of heterogenous interfaces and Windows people will be used to a
world of pain ... but on Mac  ... if I understand correctly

Python seems to be a common theme, that's nice to see.

Can anyone test v.pydigit on Mac + native GTK? Win+WinGTK?
Would pyGTK it need to have libglade on all platforms?
Or just for development?

David:
> I was toying with the idea of creating a Matlab or R-style GUI for
> grass. The idea would be to have a command line interface with helper
> applications such as graphics monitors, text editor, file browser,
> help-system, etc. All accessible from tool bars. People seem to really
> like Matlab once they learn it and I thought that if a grass version
> were done right, even guys like me might use it (which means that I
> better write code that I want to use!).

FWIW, I really like the Matlab language & engine but I hate the 6+ GUI
command interface. I run it -nojvm from my normal rxvt terminal window
with nedit in Matlab mode for the editor. For me, I need to focus when
working with it and a cluttered command window really hurts that.
It doesn't help that the Java interface is slow, buggy, and the fonts
horrible. I don't know R so well, so there the GUI version is a nice
crutch -- I can see the advantage to the concept.

Hamish