[GRASS-dev] A portible shell for GRASS 7+ ?

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 14:26:45 EDT 2006

IPython is an advanced interactive shell for Python. It has a lot of
features that make interactive use of Python very powerful.

I think that we could write some wrappers around the GRASS programs
and completely replace BASH as shell for GRASS. What we would get out
of this is:

1. Tab completion for GRASS programs
2. Python as a scripting language (no problems "shelling out" to C or Fortran)
3. IPython is already thread-safe for wxPython GUIs
4. A lot of math tools for plotting and math are already using IPython
as a shell
5. Very powerful introspection capabilities for programs.
6. Windows, Unix, Mac all supported and mature.
7. Future of IPython is network aware for clustered use of GRASS!

The list is too long...

Take a look:

http://ipython.scipy.org/

What do you think?

I'd be willing to start writing the software to "wrap" our existing
programs so that they work with IPython interactively.

--
David Finlayson