[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jun 8 17:46:38 EDT 2006

Jachym,

The screenshots of v.pydigit look great. I just downloaded and tried to run
v.pydigit--just to see what happened.

It failed, saying I needed pygtk (I've got Python 2.4+ installed).

I went to the pyGTK website. There does not seem to be a pyGTK binary for
Mac OSX, although there is one for Windows. I dug around a bit, it seems
that compiling it on the Mac is somewhat tricky. It looks like it could be
available from Darwinports. I haven't used this (except for a brief tryout)
because it messes with some of my system settings, making it difficult for
me to run other x11 programs. Maybe Fink has it, but I haven't checked yet.

This makes me hearken back to the days of GRASS 5.0.1, when I had to search
around for a proper version of TclTk to run it. This isn't very attractive
to go through this just to be able to develop and run the
package--especially given I'd need to put it on my laptop too.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671