[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 19

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jun 8 18:13:22 EDT 2006

wxPython installed in a snap and the demos seem to run flawlessly. I'm
personally not concerned about having to run x11 or not on my Mac (do it all
the time), but some people find it a little intimidating. My main concerns
are...

1) Is it relatively easy for individuals who volunteer to help develop
[including me :-)] to be able to contribute, regardless of the platform they
work on? In fact it is better if the GUI developers, especially, work on
different platforms to make sure that GRASS works the same on all supported
systems.

2) We should try to limit the quantity and complexity of coding that needs
to be done to the extent possible, compatible with getting high quality
results. This is why a Python-based approach seems very attractive. So we
shouldn't settle on a system that very few people can use or learn and we
should avoid having to maintain multiple versions of the GUI for each
platform. TclTk is good in both respects. So we should maintain this kind of
environment to the extent possible in any new platform.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671