[GRASS-dev] A portible shell for GRASS 7+ ?

Joel Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 19:51:49 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joel Pitt <joel.pitt at gmail.com>
Date: Jun 9, 2006 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] A portible shell for GRASS 7+ ?
To: Wolf Bergenheim <wolf+grass at bergenheim.net>

I can see both sides and their benefits.

But I don't think we should force people to use a python shell since
alot of GRASS users are bash/tcsh wizards. I think we should combine
some ideas here.

In the thread "Python GUI toolkits" David mentioned an R or Matlab
style GUI - I like this, I also like the idea of being able to use
python to throw up custom graphs of GIS data (although I know R can do
this as well).

Perhaps we could create a GUI that allowed you to have multiple shells
open, R for GRASS, a bash shell, an IPython one.

Come to think of it there isn't any reason why these shells can't
exist on their own...

Hmm, seems I've come to the end of my train of thought.

-joel

--
-Joel

"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."
                -- Aeschylus