[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 02:47:59 EDT 2006

> > Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> > > The way currently gis.m is doing things are IMHO good, I just
> > > would not add another window on the destop.
Hamish:
> > As it is, 4 to 5 windows for gis.m (incl. term and module GUI) is
> > 2-3 too many.
David:
> I agree. I've got half an acre (hectre) of screen and I still can't
> keep the output windows where I can see it. I'm not sure if I have a
> solution. Maybe adding some tabs to the control panel on gis.m so that
> the output can be contained in the same tool?
>
> Personally, I like tools like Jedit that allow you to "latch" windows
> together so that they act and move together (and remember where they
> were put when you launch them next time). I don't like windows popping
> up all over the place in random locations.

fyi, what I've done to make this less annoying for sawfish WM (Gnome) in
Linux; place windows in 4 corners (new GUIs pop up in center):

$ sawfish-ui
[Matched Windows tab]
Matches:           Action:
GIS Manager -      position=(750 . 10)
^Map Display 1$    place-mode=top-left
^Output - GIS\.m$  place-mode=south-east-going-north
^rxvt$  [xterm]    position=(35 . 605)

In the past we tried to set placement automatically in the Tcl code, but
Glynn explained it was bad to hard-code in placement -- or more to
the point override a user's WM settings.

Hamish