[GRASS-dev] v.out.ogr: faces export added (for KML and friends)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 05:24:10 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> inspired by the new Linux version of Google Earth [1]
> I have extended v.out.ogr to export faces, the GRASS
> 3D vectors [2].

FYI, I have written a simple filter to convert Wavefront .obj to GRASS
vector ascii format as faces. It's a mix of UNIX tools, Matlab [or
Octave] script, and GRASS modules.

[*] .obj is a 3D modelling format, same as Java3D ??

This is less necessary now that Huidae has added 3DFACE support to
v.in.dxf, as there are several OBJ->DXF converters out there- but at
the time I needed it.

I found two shareware programs that could do OBJ->DXF:
"wc2pov27.zip"  windows GUI program, works well under Wine.
  http://www.davidhsmith.net/downloaditems/wc2pov27.zip

"3dto3dV35.zip" windows CLI program. worked; not recommened.

I thought I'd post my code for future archive searches anyway.

Wavefront OBJ Specification:
  http://netghost.narod.ru/gff/vendspec/waveobj/

Hamish