[GRASS-dev] GRASS7 wish

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:12:34 EDT 2006

As part of my Pythonification of grass project, I'd like to add to our
GRASS 7 workload:

Would it be useful to have metadata about our scripts and programs?
Basically, what I propose is a simple text file that describes each
command and script in a standard format. I like the format that
g.parser uses in sh scripts today. I would extend it to include a
short help and long help description and a sort-of 'magic cookie'
which describes how to launch the script/program.

g.parser would be adjusted to read the resource file so there would be
no user-visible changes. HTML documentation would be built using the
resource file and an HTML template. GUI's could build their GUI code
based on the resource file.

The format should be quick and easy so that script coders can add a
resource file for their program with a minimum of fuss. (Copy and
paste a template from the wiki for example).

What do you think?

--
David Finlayson