[GRASS-dev] GRASS7 wish

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jun 15 22:30:42 EDT 2006

David Finlayson wrote:

> As part of my Pythonification of grass project, I'd like to add to our
> GRASS 7 workload:
>
> Would it be useful to have metadata about our scripts and programs?
> Basically, what I propose is a simple text file that describes each
> command and script in a standard format. I like the format that
> g.parser uses in sh scripts today. I would extend it to include a
> short help and long help description and a sort-of 'magic cookie'
> which describes how to launch the script/program.
>
> g.parser would be adjusted to read the resource file so there would be
> no user-visible changes. HTML documentation would be built using the
> resource file and an HTML template. GUI's could build their GUI code
> based on the resource file.

If you need more information about a module, extend the Module, Flag,
or Option structures to contain the relevant information, and update
the relevant functions in lib/gis/parser.c to use that information.

Having separate metadata files creates a risk of those files getting
out of sync with the actual modules.