[GRASS-dev] lib/vask

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Jun 15 23:29:59 EDT 2006

Hello code warriors,

Yep...Bringing up a long-standing unresolved topic. :-)

Can we have some discussion about a replacement for lib/vask?  This is
the library that handles input from the console (used extensively in 5.x
and is on its way out).

The "easiest" way to handle it is by passing in parameters via text
file, but is far from user-friendly.  Some small portion of this can
also be resolved by adding options for G_parser().

In reality, I believe there needs to be something a little more advanced
that is transparent to whether it is being 'called' from the GUI or CLI.
I don't pretend to have any decent answers (I've never had to code for
both before), but maybe the group of us can come up with something
that's easy for users and developers alike to use without the pitfalls
of the current implementation.

Searching the archive, I see a fair amount of discussion about why not
to use V_*() functions, but no long-term solutions.

This is holding up many modules being ported to 6.x and I suspect it
will have impact on the GUI projects currently in development.  I'd also
like to develop some module(s) for handling metadata, but I cannot
continue until I have some direction as to handling input/editing,
globally.

Suggestions?

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                      KB8UYR
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785