[GRASS-dev] GRASS7 wish

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 17 02:04:40 EDT 2006

David Finlayson wrote:
> What I want is a simple method for a grass program to describe itself
> to ANOTHER program.

such as the existing XML description:
  m.proj --interface-description
?

> Ideally, the user-interface (whether GUI or Text) of each binary and
> script would be built by parsing the resource file for input and
> output requirements (flags, etc.).  Also, the console help and HTML
> manual pages would be built directly from the resource file.

This is already the case, just the G_parser() does it from the C or
g.parser shell code.

> I think if the resource file were tightly integrated to both the user
> interface of the program and the derivative products like console help
> and html manual pages, we would get better synchronization rather than
> the reverse.

This is already what happens? (and compared to GRASS 5 maintaining the
man pages is wonderful)

> I think the format used by g.parser is pretty good. It just needs a
> few extra fields for storing the long help (what would go in the
> manual page). On the other hand, if we used some kind of xml file, we
> might be able to slap a stylesheet on top and display the resource
> file directly as the manual page. That would be a great
> synchronization benefit.

As part of the build process, along with building the help pages, build
an XML description of the module including the description.html file?

Hamish