i.ortho.photo - was Re: [GRASS-dev] lib/vask

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Jun 18 04:37:50 EDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 06:10:38AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > Very. I don't know of any other FOSS tool than can can orthorectify
> > > aerial photographs using an already existing DEM.
> > >
> > > The only similar one is e-foto project, but their philosophy is a bit
> > > different - DEM is created from stereo aerial photographs, then they
> > > are orthorectified using that DEM.
> > >
> > > Unique and good thing about i.orpho.photo is that you can orthorectify
> > > even a single photo, or a set of photos which don't overlap enough to be
> > > used for extracting DEM in e-foto or other photogrammetry software.
> > >
> > > Please don't remove i.orpho.photo.
> >
> > Agreed.  This module is extremely important to me.  If I can't rectify
> > images, GRASS becomes somewhat unusable to me.  Most of the imagery
> > commands are quite important to me.
>
> Ok, if disposal is out of the question, it will need to be re-written
> if vask is to be eliminated.

I am also user of i.ortho.photo...

> > I believe i.ortho.photo will require input from one method or another.
> > I don't see it working without interactive input, either.
>
> Could you explain why?
>
> > This is one
> > of the other reasons I brought up the subject of lib/vask again.  I'm
> > honestly stumped as to how to resolve this without rewriting the module
> > as GRASS advances.
>
> You can't resolve it without re-writing the module.
>
> This is probably a good example of why it's important to separate
> functionality from interface.

Agreed.

The occasion of rewriting it could go along with the re-integration of the
GRASS 5's image3 library which offers ortho-recitifcation of LANDSAT to
some extent. Something like this:

Merge of image libraries:
  A)
    - lib/imagery/: standard lib, in use (i.* except for i.points3, i.rectify3)
    - imagery/i.ortho.photo/libes/: standard lib, in use (i.ortho.photo, photo.*)
  B)
    - lib/image3/: never finished improvement which integrated the standard lib and
                   the ortho lib. Seems to provide also ortho rectification for
                   satellite data (i.points3, i.rectify3)
  C)
    - merge of i.points, i.vpoints, i.points3, i.points.auto
    - merge of i.rectify and i.rectify3
    - addition of new resampling algorithms such as bilinear, cubic convolution
      (take from r.proj?)
    - add other warping methods (maybe thin splines from GDAL?)
    - implement/finish linewise ortho-rectification of satellite data (from image3)
    - remove lots of cloned code

Markus